20120107

SAM

I remember going to SAM at least three or four times before in the last three years, but I only have a record of pictures taken from the two trips in Sec 2. I took many pictures... pictures of the artwork I found interesting. the pics shown here are the ones I liked the most out of the several I took. The problem is, I forgot to record down the names/titles of these artworks and their artists and their mediums so I can't exactly label them... T^T 

This first art piece was done on a large piece of paper and stuck onto the wall in such a way that it looked like the picture was actually drawn onto the wall itself. I find this one quite cool, intriguing, creepy (ahahahaha... ^_^) and interesting (mostly because its creepy.) It's black and white and I think it was done using charcoal, which gave it a really haunted kind of effect... like the very picture of death or something. The whole thing depicts a hell lot of tortured looking people, limbs and faces merged together in a mass of twisted black and white. the contrast and shadows are nice. You can see where I get morbid inspirations from. hehe XD


This second art piece was done on a canvas, so I'm assuming that its either acrylic or oil (the latter being the more likely.) I was attracted by this piece of art because of its bright and vibrant colors and realistic depiction. At first glance, you could almost believe that this was a photograph of a boy sprawled on his table top, a glass jar in his arm with a study shelf in the backdrop. Upon closer inspection, you can see the various items that make up this almost realistic piece of work: the books (two of which looks like the science o-level text/guidebooks I bought last year), some cds and dvds (which can also be found at home) an alarm clock, spiderweb (which I have observed several times and have tried to learn how the artist painted them so nicely) and last but not least, various containers (cups, jars, bottles) that each contain a miniature version of the main (and 'original') boy sitting at the table. The mini-boys are mostly either  relaxing, sleeping, reading and they see to represent the main boy's various selves. One of the mini-boy is depicted punching a hole through the glass of the jar he is 'kept' in, and there is a mini-boy sitting in a flask with a starry night picture streaming into (or out of?) it from the illustration of a van gogh book. There's even a boy in a cup of water with a black goldfish in it! I love this sort of surrealistic stuff.


This third art piece consists of a sprawling rose plant cut out of one giant piece of white paper. It also occurred to me that the overall shape of the rose plant seems to form a double helix DNA-ish shape... hmm... anyhow, I was really impressed by how the artist cut out and form all those trailing leaves and rose blossoms. Just drawing a rose is hard. Cutting out a rose is even harder. using one giant pieace of paper to cut out a rose plant is nigh impossible for me. Origami rocks!


This fourth art piece consists of a circle/cluster of glass spheres hanging above a silver reflective mirror-like platform and shone upon by a spotlight. This causes each glass sphere to gleam like lanterns or shining globes/bubbles and due to the dark background, the stings by which the glass spheres hang are near invisible. below the glass spheres, the reflection of the spheres upon the silver surface resembles hundreds of black circles of different sizes. The effect was quite mesmerizing.



The last art piece is a shelf filled with bottles and bottles and more bottles. XD I'm not sure what could have been in those bottles... snuff? drugs? random chemicals? I like to think its poisonous... hehe. i think the designs on the bottles are interesting though and the overall look of the whole artwork. And after looking at all the above artworks... I'm stating to feel  stress and depressed about the thought of having to come up with a satisfactory coursework (yes friends, laugh all you want. i know you know by the time I really do feel stress, yo would be suicidal).


No comments:

Post a Comment