20120914

95th Anniversary Card

Front Cover
Inside
This is the card I made for the 95th Anniversary of my school, Nanyang Girl's High. I wrote the words in pencil first before lining it. After that I colored the edges lightly (maybe a little too lightly?) with color pencil. Then I cut out the words that I had previously lined (with penknife). On the inside, I pasted a black piece of paper because I thought it would be a nice color for the background of the inside of the card. I decided to decorate the inside a drawing of my friends and I celebrating the 95th Anniversary. I did it in a photo format, inserting the drawing into the corner flaps I pasted there as a frame. The picture was drawn, then lined, then colored with color pencil. 

The setting of the drawing is the mac lab of the school. In the middle of the picture is a gigantic cake that has nine big candles (the blue ones) and five small candles (the light green ones). The people around it are students waiting to eat the cake. As you can see, the candles are still lit, which means that the cake shouldn't be eaten yet, but two things have happened: a) one student had been hiding in the cake and had happily burst out at that moment, and b) another student had stolen a slice of cake. I guess I drew this with my old class in mind and added the 'crazy' elements into it to depict the way our class may have celebrated the Anniversary if we had been able to (I don't think such a celebration would be allowed in reality....) 

People featured in the drawing, clockwise from top left-hand corner: Cat (not an old classmate, but my CCA training partner... she's slightly money-minded), Mr Chang (a teacher who used to wear checkered shirts all the time, and would not be happy if we ate in the mac lab), Komui (otherwise known as Fang Ni, and is the fun-loving prankster-sort of person), me (chasing after the stolen slice of cake) that Lero (otherwise known as Pang Xin) has, 'Tachi (also known as Svena, with her trademark jacket), Hsi Chien (sketching), Yu Qi (with the Eeyore), Hui Tze (with the iPad) and Lenalee (otherwise known as Jia Hui)

I think I'm quite pleased with the result, though I should have improved on the colors which seem a bit too light (?) I especially like the way the light shines through the cut-out words and the solid sections cast interesting shadows on the drawing beneath. As for the message I want to convey through this artwork... YOLO~ ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment