20120912

Alice's Shadow



This sketch was done last year, when I was caught in the Alice in Wonderland craze (actually, I still am). This was inspired by Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass. The characters/objects depicted in the drawing, clockwise from top left, are: the "Drink Me" bottle, the Queen of Hearts (card), the Ace of Hearts (card), the Cheshire Cat, the Hatter, the White Rabbit, Humpty Dumpty, Tweedledum and Tweedledee, the Red Queen, the Red Knight, Alice, the Caterpillar and the Mushroom, the Dormouse. I didn't color the drawing, so its colors consist of black, gray and white, and this is because I wanted the mood of the art piece to be more sombre.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is about Alice falling through a rabbit hole and landing in Wonderland. Through the Looking Glass is about Alice slipping through a large mirror (looking glass) and ending up in the Looking-Glass World. In these worlds that she visited in her dreams, she meets characters such as the this drawing is mainly about Alice growing up and leaving her childhood fantasies behind. That's mainly why I decided to make the sketch more sombre in a sense, because I think its kind of sad when a child grows up and dreams give way to reality.

1 comment:

  1. The black gray and white are alright, and give it an old-ish feeling, which is cool for theme, especially since the mood is suppose to be sombre, but... Um... I think it is a bit messy. Like, I'm not sure if its intentional but the some part look smudged. Perhaps it will be better if half of the picture is colored instead, like, either alice in the foreground or the fantasies at the back, depending on where you want the focus to be. It will give it a better sense of contrast and will make it look more complete.
    Alice growing up.. hm I don't think this is very important but she still look quite young here... though I guess that's alright

    ReplyDelete