20120915

inspiration-emperpep

Poisonous Maiden
It seems to me that all of the artists I love are from deviantart. Their artwork is awesome. This one is called emperpep and she uses watercolor as her medium. Her skills at it are amazing and at first glance, one would have thought that her works are digital art. She tends to use a lot of bright colors and most of her artworks have a certain 'shiny' quality. My watercolor skills are average and I often wish I'm as good as her... wishful thinking. Her ideas are not bad too. As you can see, I'm attracted for ideas and concepts as much as the artistic skill in the artwork. The artwork above is really cute and depicts a girl trying to water her plant with... something that is definitely not water. The messiness of the setting seems quite appropriate too, as it is obvious from the pipe-filled background and unknown colorful substances (likely to be poisonous) around that the plant is unlikely to survive there (unless its a mutant of some sort). It makes me pity both the plant (for ending up in such an environment) and the girl (for trying to keep a plant in such an environment, because it probably won't survive). Then again, the plant seems unnatural since its fruits don't seem quite right and its pot is attached to a wire/pipe (?). I sometimes wonder where these artists get their ideas from. Its so interesting.

Another example of her art is the painting below. Once again, it looks so well done that it doesn't look like its been painted. The painting is a kaleidoscope of colors (even the girl in the painting has rainbow hair) and the setting of the painting is a very colorful, very messy, and very artistic studio. The studio is full of paintings, paint, colorful plants and creatures (that seem to have either come to life from the painting, or come to life from the artist's overactive imagination). The way the artist blends her colors is also admirable. What I like most about her artworks, such as the one below, is that she always seem to be able to paint stuff with so much detail, yet the composition doesn't seem messy. Or maybe you could call it an organized mess? In any case, I'm still trying to create such an artwork (not with watercolor but with color pencil, since I think I should master color pencil first, before thinking about anything harder) but I've been unsuccessful so far... And in truth, I don't think I'll ever be able to reach this artist's standard.
Psychedelic Studio: 223
For those who are interested, this is the artist's DA: http://emperpep.deviantart.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment