20120914

A Pineapple Year

The artworks shown below are the calendar pages I designed for this year. Its for my AEP coursework and the purpose of it is to reflect on my (last) year in NYGH. I guess it's a little like a monthly diary of sorts? Each page was a watercolor painting (except October, which is done in poster color and acrylic), lined with a thin marker and occasionally touched up with white pen. I say 'was' because they were all scanned into the computer and I did some light photoshop (my photoshop skills suck) before it was sent for printing. On each page, there is also a small pineapple sculpture made of air-dried clay, painted with a mixture of paints (poster, watercolor, acrylic) and varnished. Each month has a theme and so does each pineapple. I also found quotes on the internet and added one to each month. I think I'm more or less satisfied with my work though I feel that I could have done better if I improved on my watercolor skills and photoshop skills.


January: Chinese New Year~!
Pineapple type: Eat Me


February: Valentine's Day, Science Practical Trials
Pineapple type: Split-skin (a representation of stress and contradiction)


March: GRACES, School hols, Exams
Pineapple type: Enzyme and Substrate/Masquerade (depends on how you want to interpret it)


April: Birthdays and Exams
Pineapple type: Strangled in ribbons (representing both of the above)


May: Relaxation (start of school hols)
Pineapple type: Ice-cream-eating


June: Holiday
Pineapple type: Akuma (representing the enjoyment of anime/manga... and my birthday--because my friends nickname me Akuma)


July: More exams
Pineapple type: Strangled by snake (the horrors of Biology?)


August: National Day (Singapore)
Pineapple type: National Day Parade (NDP)


September: Burning midnight oil (studying)
Pineapple type: Burnt-out candle


October: Final Exam's a war game
Pineapple type: Octopus ('cuz of the super busy month)


November: The End is coming, Autumn (though Singapore has no autumn)
Pineapple type: Mad Hatter (let the fun begin!)


December: Christmas
Pineapple type: Queen of Hearts ('cuz a friend of mine once played the Queen of Hearts in an Odyssey of the Mind (OM) performance and her birthday is on the 25th, and the Queen of Hearts could also represent love?)

That's all. Unfortunately the lighting isn't very good and some parts have shadows where there shouldn't be shadows while some parts are too bright. Maybe I should have taken the photos of my artwork at somewhere where the lighting is even? Hm... 


No comments:

Post a Comment